October 20, 2010
Balsa Wood Ornament Video Tutorial
These ornaments are quick and easy to make. Especially if you have your background papers ready to go!
Balsa Wood Ornament Tutorial from Shona Cole on Vimeo.
- Background paper. Click here for my tutorial on making background papers.
- Balsa wood, which is a super light weight wood that is typically used in the crafting of model airplanes and so on. I did a quick search to see where you can get it online and I found it here at JoAnn's fabric store.
- Craft knife (and cutting board) and or scissors
- awl or bead reamer to punch a small hole
- Rubber stamp. I used a stamp that I got from Stampington & Co. in my capacity as an Artist On Call for them.
- Glue, I used a regular glue stick
- 26 gauge jewelry wire and wire cutter
- Craft paint and brush
- 7 inches of thin ribbon
- some beads for decoration
In my book, The Artistic Mother, the 5th project the "butterfly reminder" is made using balsa wood. If you own my book and are thinking about having a go making a 'butterfly reminder' then I hope this gives you a feel for working with balsa wood.
I thinks these ornaments will end up on Lily's pink Christmas tree this year! Did I just say Christmas???